Join the fun and follow Woman to Woman on Instagram!
By: Jenifer Metzger
Today we complete the Fruits of the Spirit in Marriage series. To read the previous week's, click on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and gentleness.
Today's fruit is self-control..
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
This is our final day in our Fruits of the Spirit series. I pray that it has blessed you and given you a new way to look at the Fruits of the Spirit.
I want to look at our final fruit, self-control, with our attitude. I've said it numerous times before, my husband often gets the worst of me. He gets the me that is tired, stressed, overworked, in need of a break, or just plain cranky. Even if my attitude has absolutely nothing to do with him at all, he still gets the bad end of the deal.
That's unfair to him. I need to learn to use self-control, even when I am having an attitude problem.
Here are a few ways to practice self-control in our attitude with our husband:
- Pray, asking God to help you practice self-control
- Before responding to your husband, or anyone, stop and think how your reply with sound
- Make sure your tone is laced with gentleness, another great Fruit
- When you are feeling cranky or moody, give yourself a timeout to breath and pray
- Continually listen to worship music, pray or count your blessings, it's hard to be cranky when we are praising
What are some other ways you can practice self-control in your attitude?