Friday, March 9, 2012
Following Jesus ~ Tips for the Working Mom
I worked for a bank for 6 years. My kids are still little they were 2 and 3 when I quit. It's been almost exactly a year since I left that job. I can't believe how time flies. When I rededicated my life to Jesus I was amazed at how deep I was in the office drama. God really opened my eyes to following Him instead of the Office ways. Teaching my kids about Jesus was also a challenge but thank God we had a good Christian Babysitter that got the ball rolling with them. If you're in the same boat I was I have a few tips for you on following Jesus instead of the world while you are working.
Jesus said you have to be in the world but NOT of this world and I can see how that really comes into play with the working mom. If you work in an office I'm sure there's gossip all around. Try to avoid this at all costs.
People will never want to meet your Jesus until they see the reality of Him in your life.
1) Talk about Jesus, start small but let people know who you serve, my boss was a Christian but she didn't live like it and I really saw some amazing growth in her just by sharing my story of faith with her every day, you never know how God is going to use you until you let Him.
2) Bring headphones to work (if you are able) to avoid the gossip, listen to praise and worship music while you work. The day goes so much faster and if you really don't enjoy your job this will lift your mood and your spirit a lot.
3) If you get a lunch break bring your Bible on your lunch and read a chapter or two while you're on you're lunch ~ I got to work super early every morning so I had my quiet time before work and during lunch, it helped me get through the day and ignore the drama my office was involved in.
4) Find another believer and make friends. If you don't know who is a believer and who's not ask God to reveal this to you. I promise He will, two is better than one and when you get to know each other that encouragement will be priceless.
5) God has put you in that job for a purpose. Nothing happens without God's OK, You are in that job to serve HIM so ask God to reveal to you every day what He wants you to do, serve Him and give Him the glory during your day.
I worked at a desk all day and my mind was basically fried when I got home but even if this is you there is a balance to raising kids and to working, here are a few tips for teaching your kids about Jesus even as a working mom.
1) I know mornings are a rush sometimes so use dinner times for family devotional times. Read a verse or a story from the Bible and talk about it with your family, the kids will be still while they are eating and even if they don't seem like they are listening, they really are.
2) Turn on praise and worship music low while you eat, use this time to talk as a family about your day.
3) After dinner, instead of turning on the tv play a family board game ~ how does this serve Jesus, you may ask~ it's about family time, the world tries to steal our children's hearts while they are at school so we must steal it back the few hours we have with them at night.
4) Encourage your child to take their Bible to school and read a little while they are on lunch, even a devotional.
5) Say nightly prayers with your kids, pray for your children, talk to them about what Jesus expects and how much He loves them and that He's with them during their day.
I can tell you from experience that if you leave work at work and you are a mom and wife at home your evenings will be a lot less stressful.
Following Jesus even while you work is possible, God has you in this season for a reason and it's important that whatever you do, whether in word or deed, you do it all for the Glory of God. Col 3:23