- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup fresh, strained lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cups fresh chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Lightly butter a 9 X 13? baking dish and line the pan with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Lightly butter parchment and lay a second sheet of parchment across it, so that they are in two different directions.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Slice butter into small pieces and then cut into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives. Work until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour mixture into pan and press firmly into pan so that there is about 1/4 inch thickness on the bottom and crust goes up sides about 1/2 inch.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, and flour.
- Place the lemon zest, chopped strawberries, lemon juice, milk, and salt in a blender and mix until well puréed.
- Add lemon mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325F.
- Blend filling mixture again thoroughly with the whisk before pouring into warm, but not hot, crust.
- Bake about 25 minutes until the filling feels firm when touched.
- Cool completely on wire rack about 30 minutes. Remove bars from pan and place on cutting board.
- Peel paper down and cut into bars. Wipe knife or pizza wheel off between each cut as necessary.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over bars.