|Recipe courtesy of ThisGalCooks.com|
Serves: 4 servings
For the chicken
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp finely chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 C canned tomato sauce
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 bone-in split chicken breasts, skin and ribs removed and trimmed of all visible fat
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Flour or corn tortillas
- 2 C ¼ inch pineapple pieces
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ C finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1. Prep and cook the chicken.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, whisk together the olive oil, chili powder, garlic, cumin, chipotle pepper and coriander. Microwave for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
3. Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker and mix in the tomato sauce and sugar.
4. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and then add to the slow cooker, turning to coat with the sauce.
5. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until the chicken reaches 160 degrees.
Prep the pineapple salsa.
6. In a mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, red onion, lime juice and cilantro. Mix well and set aside.
7. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from the slow cooker and cool for 5 minutes. Then shred the chicken with two forks. Discard the bone.
8. Stir 1 tbsp lime juice into the chicken sauce mixture and then add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and mix to coat with the sauce.
9. Serve in warm tortillas and top with pineapple salsa and your favorite cheese, if desired.