There are many excuses to not date our spouse. I have heard them all. Honestly, I have said them all. We don't have the money. We don't have the time. We don't have a sitter. I can't handle any more time with him.
Ladies, if you are the last one and say, I can't handle any more time with him! I feel ya! A couple of years ago, my husband was laid off for the better part of the year. I got a glimpse of retirement and it scared me! (smiles) We drove each other crazy. But dating gets you out of that every day routine. It's not having the kids around, the dogs barking, the phones going off or arguing over who changed the last diaper. It's just the two of you. That time is so important. If you said, we just don't have the time. Let me ask you this, do you have any other choice? How can you not take the time to date your husband? It should be a priority. Never a matter of not having the time.
If you were one that said we don't have the money or sitter, here are a few ideas to help get you going.
- Take a walk around the neighborhood. Just the two of you enjoying God's nature and talking.
- Drive to the lake or a park. Take along a favorite dessert from home. If you both like to read, take a book and read to each other. Play on the swings. For our anniversary one year, my husband and I walked to the park and played on the swings. It was a wonderful date!
- Once the kids go to bed have dessert and play a board or card game together.
- It's garage sale season! Drive around and hit a few garage sales. Set aside a certain dollar amount you can afford to spend. Once that is gone, just stop and look or just take a drive.
- Find a neighbor (one you trust) or friends with children. Trade off babysitting. They watch your children for free while you go out (or stay in) then the next week you watch their children for free.
- Find a neighbor (again, one you trust) or relative and trade services. Such as, if they need their lawn mowed or house cleaned, you do that for free and they watch your kids for free.
We must take our marriage seriously and make dating a priority. What better way to fall in love all over again!